Posted by David • Oct 25th, 2009 4:57:04 am - Subscribe | Mood: good | Music: No Music
Explain on how to create a complete walkthrough on how to make Windows 7 Upgrade a full install. Paul Thurott and a friend over at the SuperSite Blog have worked out how to perform a clean Windows 7 install using the upgrade disc. Come again?
That's right: save $80 and buy the Windows 7 Upgrade disc, because you can use it to perform a clean, full-featured installation.
How to Make Windows 7 Upgrade a Full Install
- Perform a clean installation using the Upgrade disc -- this should work without a hitch.
- Make sure there are no Windows Updates pending -- if there's an orange shield icon next to the Shutdown button in the Start Menu, that means you need to reboot before attempting the next steps.
- Open 'regedit.exe' from the Start Menu -- just type it in there, where it says: Search programs and files. Accept the User Account Control dialogue that pops up to give yourself Windows 7 superpowers.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
- Change MediaBootInstall from '1' to '0'
- Open the Start Menu again and type 'cmd' -- use ctrl+shift+enter to run it as an elevated-permissions user
- Finally, type slmgr /rearm -- and press enter.
Your computer will now reboot and run the Activate Windows utility. Type in your product key and you should be good to go.